Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bus Stories

My friend, MoverMike, drives a school bus and sometimes he writes a 'Yellow School Bus' story on his blog. That got me thinking about my own experiences with buses.

Way back in the old days when I worked at a bank, I rode the city bus to work everyday. One morning my dad called me, waking me up. Yikes, I thought...I had overslept...sleeping through my alarm clock. "Gotta go, daddy", I said. Then ran to my closet and got dressed, without even taking a shower. I ran the 1-block to my bus stop and hopped on the bus. Everyone looked different to me. You see, when you ride a city bus every day, so do other people. So you see the same people every day. But these people were different. When I got to the bank, I walked into a dark office. I was there an hour early.

But my favorite story happened to my friends Kim, Jeff, and me. A group from the bank played volleyball every Tuesday evening. Afterwards we would go to the local watering hole for pizza. One particular Tuesday the party eventually ended up at Kim and Jeff's house. Since I knew it would be a late night, I planned on spending the night. We must've had a little too much wine to drink, because the next morning our brains were foggy and our movements slow. We were running a little late getting ready for work, with one bathroom between three people. Dashing to the bus stop, we waved down the bus as it appeared to be passing us by. Huffing and puffing, we climbed on the bus and moved towards the rear. As Kim and I searched our purses (and Jeff his wallet) for our passes, we felt tiny little eyes staring at us. Then we heard giggles. Looking around slowly at the 30 or so miniature heads, we realized we were on a school bus.

Those were different days. I wonder if my friend MoverMike would've picked us up on his school bus. Probably not.

1 comment:

  1. Not unless it was snowing to beat the band!

    ReplyDelete