Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Truth about Health Savings Accounts (Note: I've made some adjustments to the original post...in RED)

Today on the Thom Hartmann radio show, I heard some guy say that people who can't afford medical insurance should get a Health Savings Account. That's the same thing George W Bush was saying when he pretended to be concerned about the millions of uninsured and under insured Americans.

Just what planet are they living on?

First of all......a Health Savings Account is NOT medical insurance. It is exactly what it says it is: A SAVINGS ACCOUNT. Anyone who cannot afford to purchase medical insurance cannot afford to put extra money into a savings account.

Second......in order to qualify for a Health Savings Account, you must FIRST PURCHASE MEDICAL INSURANCE. That's right, you must purchase high deductible medical insurance, in order to open up a Health Savings Account.

Third......once you have a Health Savings Account, you pay for all your medical expenses out of that account up to the amount of your deductible. If you don't have enough money in that account, you pay for it out of your pocket.

Fourth......your medical insurance kicks in after you've used up your deductible. If your deductible is $2500, you must pay the first $2500 from the money you've put into your Health Savings Account (or from your own pocket, if you don't have enough money in that accout).

Fifth.....Most people open up Health Savings Accounts (HSA) so they can deduct it on their tax returns. The money they put into their Health Savings Account is pre-tax dollars. So if you don't need the deduction, there is no need to open up an HSA. You might as well just pay for high deductible medical insurance and pay for your medical bills out of your pocket. It's the same thing, basically. Plus, you don't have to put any money in your HSA if you don't want to. You can put in between $1 and the maximum allowed for the year ($2900 in 2008).

My husband and I are self-employed. Medical insurance is expensive, but thankfully we are healthy. This is why a Health Savings Account works for us. Here's how it works:

We purchased a high deductible medical plan ($2500) for $622 a month, for 2 people. This is for medical only; we do not have dental or vision coverage. We can each put up to $2900 annually into a Health Savings Account, which is tax deductible, and can be carried over from year to year. Because we are both over 55 years old, we can each add an additional $900 this year. All of our medical bills are paid from this account. When we retire, we can withdraw money from this account, much like an IRA.

Since our medical expenses have been below $2500 each year, we have paid for everything out of our HSA. But because we have medical insurance, our insurance company will sometimes make adjustments, and we get our services at a reduced fee. This does not apply to dental or vision.

The reason a Health Savings Account works for us is twofold: 1) since we are self-employed, we are able to deduct the amount we contribute to our HSA ($7600 for 2008. It will be raised $8000 in 2009); and 2) we are healthy, so our medical expenses are not high.

The total cost we will pay this year is $7467 for our high deductible insurance, and $7600 for our Health Savings Account. That's $15,067. And this is considered cheap, because we don't have any pre-existing conditions. How can someone making minimum wage afford this? How can a family with children afford double this amount? How can someone with medical problems afford this?

Basically, a Health Savings Account is a tax-deductible savings account that people can use to pay their medical expenses. But it is not medical insurance. You must have a high deductible medical insurance policy in order to qualify for a Health Savings Account.

The next time you hear someone say that a person without medical insurance should get a Health Savings Account, ask them to explain it to you. I don't think they can, because they probably don't understand it.

Ask them "Just what planet are you living on?"

4 comments:

  1. Well, my ship came in but I'm not sure if it's staying due to health insurance needs....
    Regarding your comment on insurance companies making adjustments to cost: I recently had surgury and just received my breakdown from the insurance company. The hospital billed them $56,000.00 but my insurance company was able to adjust the amount they paid to the hospital to $2500.00! I hope this was a typo. If I didn't have insurance, could I negotiate anything even near this? Why do we even need insurance companies, why can't we just pay premiums to a hospital network. Just a thought. My insurance is thru cobra right now but it will run out the end of January so I will have to find new insurance. My husband has pre-existing conditions, which means that even though we can't be turned down for coverage, my premiums will be outrageous, and they are already $800.00 a month!!! I retired early but am wondering if my only option is to return to the workforce (in an America where unemplyment is so high) just to get medical insurance. My situation is only one of many scenarios. Why is health coverage such a problem in America? There must be a better way. I hope our new President will make good on his promise to fix it. By the way, I have to say that I like the way your blog mixes humor with important issues. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm proud and progressive and proud of you and this blog. kudos, auntie. xo.
    anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not have that big an issue with the pre-existing conditions/high deductable fear. My understanding, based on my experience, is that if you have group coverage now, and buy another policy with less than a 63 day gap in coverage, there is no gap in covering pre-existing conditions or increased premiums. This is regulated under HIPAA. HIPAA also prevents an insurere cancelling a policy due to high claims. One thing though: DO NOT LET more than 63 days go by between COBRA coverage and startign the new policy. That is the time limit under HIPAA.

    I have two kids with severe medical issues and HUGE expenses (each with Liver transplants). I went from coverage under a former employer plan under COBRA- to buying my own indivisual family BC/BS plan. Cost for full coverage with reasonable copays and deductables was $735/month for the family (two kids, spouse and me). The coverage was darn close to the employer's plan and $200/month LESS than that group plan's COBRA premium (I kicked myself for not looking sooner because conventional wisdom is that group plans are significantly cheaper than individual ones- 18 months paying an extra $200/month!! Ouch!) I am surpised that $2,500/year is considered a high deductable policy. That seems like a pretty reasonable amount of self exposure to me. Insurance is supposed to protect from catastrophic loss, not expected routine costs. We are fine with paying for our oil changes and windshield solvent and insuring our cars for major accidental damage. Why inthe heck do we insist that health insurance pay for routine physicals, birth control etc.????. Why is it such anathema to consider ANY personal expenditures for routine health care these days? Yeah, $735/month is a lot. But many people spend that on a boat or RV or car payment-- when I consider the coverage that provides, I am willing to work my ass off to find a way to pay for it and go without many things like movies, a newer car and vacations. Health care for the needy is another matter. But for the vast majority of people who are making thier way OK, it seems to me there is a lot af griping about insurance costs that is more a matter of too high expectations than actual hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info Stew, it's very helpful. I didn't realize that HIPAA prevents increase in insurance premiums, I was afraid they would just price us out in order not to cover us. I plan to get a new plan prior to COBRA running out. I also don't think $2500.00/year deductible is high, I just want to make sure that I can get quality health care for something catastrophic. I will always find a way to have health coverage even if it means giving up other things. I figure I am already ahead of the game since my son had major heart surgery several years ago that would have cost me over $100,000 at the time. Thanks again for the help.

    ReplyDelete